Condor Films is a Swiss media production company from Zurich that is involved in the production of TV and cinema advertisements, documentary and feature films, the conception and production of corporate films, corporate TV, multimedia solutions and various TV formats. Throughout its history, the company has also appeared under the sub brands «Condor Productions», «Condor Communications», «Condor Corporate», «Condor Commercials», «Condor Features», «Condor Audiovisuals», «Condor Pictures» and «Condor Documentaries». In 2010, the corporate image was standardised under a new umbrella branding strategy.
Heinrich Fueter founded condor Films in 1947. Until 1986, the company was owned by the founder’s family and some minority shareholders who were friends of the family. From 1987 to 2005, the Zurich-based media company tamedia AG held the majority stake. In 2005, a group led by managing director Kristian Widmer acquired tamedia’s shares through an MBO. Since 2006, Swiss TV production company Faro TV has been a 100% subsidiary of Condor. Managing director Kristian Widmer has held the majority of shares in the company since 2008 while the founding family retains a minority stake. The company has so far produced 940 advertisements, 1,230 commissioned films and 55 feature films; it received an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film with «Journey of Hope» (Reise der Hoffnung). Condor Films today defines itself as a transmedia production company for moving images. The company focuses on creating audiovisual content and producing digital multimedia pieces for cinema, TV and the Internet.
These are some of the projects Condor Films has completed:
- Commercials for Credit Suisse, UBS, Schweiz Tourismus, McDonald’s, Fiat, Allianz, Orange, Feldschlösschen, Sinalco, Bico, Axpo, SUVA, Sympany, Schauspielhaus Zürich, Swisscom, Emmi, Ricola and Migros
- Promotional films and product films for Zurich Financial Services, Swiss Re, Chocolat Frey, KPMG, Geberit, Volkswagen, RUAG, Die Post, Swisslos, Swiss Life, Coop, Maurice Lacroix, Völkl, IKRK, BKW, Louis Widmer, Novartis, Adam Opel AG, Vontobel, Sika, Danzas, Roche, Mettler-Toledo, IWC Schaffhausen, BMW and ABB
- Informational films for the Swiss Border Guard Corps (Grenzwachtkorps), Zurich University, Swissair, Neue Aargauer Bank, Georg Fischer, SBB and Crossair
- Interactive online applications for Gerber, Post Finance, IWC Schaffhausen
- Documentaries about Roger Federer, Norman Foster, Pablo Picasso and the Mount Everest Expedition
- Feature films for cinema and TV with Gérard Depardieu, Richard Chamberlain, Julian Sands, Anja Kling, Michael Gwisdek, Meret Becker, Lars Rudolph and directors Daniel Schmid, Jan Švankmajer, Xavier Koller, Samir, Nicolas Gessner, Rolf Lyssy and Dani Levy,
- Scenic short films commissioned for IWC Schaffhausen starring John Malkovich and Jean Reno
- Music videos with Carmen Electra for the Bloodhound Gang
- Circlevision, 4D Motion Simulator, Vistavision Dome and 70MM films for Autostadt with directors Xavier Koller, Dani Levy, Michael Ballhaus, Ralph van Deusen, Michael Steiner and the Swiss National Exhibition Landesausstellung Expo.02
- 3D films for the Paul Scherrer Institute PSI
- Product placements and branded entertainment for Subaru, Charles Vögele, Helsana, Qualipet, Hills, Dyson, Health Promotion Switzerland (Gesundheitsförderung Schweiz) and Weight Watchers
Condor Films is also involved in the production of its own TV shows through its subsidiary FaroTV.
- the game show «Joya rennt» with Andrea Jansen for Sat.1 Switzerland
- the game show «Joya reist» with Andrea Jansen for Sat1. Switzerland
- the make-a-wish show «Celebrations» for Sat1. Switzerland
- the reins show «Move-In!» with Viola Tami for Sat1. Switzerland
- the reality soap «Chor auf Bewährung» for the Swiss television channel SF2
- the docusoap «leichter leben» with Viktor Röhtlin and Hausi Leutenegger for the Swiss
- television channel SF1
- the docusoap «Tapetenwechsel» for the Swiss television channel SF2
- the pet magazine «Tierische Freunde» for the Swiss television channel SF1
and TV commissioned productions such as:
- the Saturday evening show «Happy Day» with Röbi Koller for the Swiss TV channel SF1
- the production of the first three seasons of «Bauer ledig sucht» with Marco Fritsche, commissioned by 3plus
- the commissioned development and production of casting show «Einer wie Beni» with Bernhard Thurnheer for Swiss sports TV channel SSF.